History of Jermuk
Jermuk was built in the century A.D. In the reign of Arshkunies it used to be
summer-residence and resort of the kings of Sunik and the Orbelyan counts.
About the medicinal properties of the springs of Jermuk people knew in the
early Middle Ages. In the Armenian manuscripts Jermuk has been mentioned by
Stepanos Orbelian, a 13 century historiographer.
During many centuries these waters ran
without any use and aim. It was only after the establishment of Soviet power
(November 29, 1920) that in Armenia the study of these waters and the question
of their use for medicinal purposes became problems of national importance.
About buildings and hotels
In 1936 The first sanatorium started
functioning in Jermuk. During last decades many sanatoriums, policlinics,
hotels, schools, kindergartens, cultural centers and plants came life.
Looking from height everyone admires the
wonderful panorama of Jermuk. Here is the gallery – the symbol and
visiting-card of the sanatorium, which is glittering in the rays of the sun
going deep into waters of the green-blue lake. Here are the buildings of the
policlinic, but soon it will be sanatorium, here are Olympia and Yeghnik
sanatoriums, and the pearl of the sanatorium – The <Jermuk> cinema house.
In Jermuk section of Armenia Picture Gallery more than 200 paintings,
sculptures and drawings of Armenian classic and modern artists are exposed (M.
Sargsyan, H. Zardaryan, M. Abeghyan, S. Arakelyan, G. Khanjyan, D. Dalbandyan,
E. Issabekyan)> Modern style health-resort <Armenia> <Yeghnik>
<Olympia> <Jermuk Ashxarh> adron the town.